Search This Blog

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Italian Day

FOOD
Ironically enough, today’s meals have turned out to be themed around Italian food. I am not even a huge fan of Italian food, especially lasagna. My husband will be happy for the change though!

I have been C-R-A-V-I-N-G pizza for a few days now! There is an amazing Chicago Style Pizza place here in town, Gusano’s, and we haven’t eaten there in quite some time. Sky and I both wanted to go there this weekend, but I really didn’t want to screw my calorie intake that bad (because it would be no-holds-barred
for me…ranch and all). So to compromise, I made myself a ‘healthy’ pizza for lunch, and it did the trick!

Lunch 12:00 pm – 313 calories
My ‘Healthy’ Hawaiian Pizza:
topped with ¼ C Mushroom Spaghetti Sauce,
1/3 C Shredded Cheese, 1.5 oz diced Ham,
& ¼ C Pineapple

I sprinkled the sauce with some dried Basil & Garlic Salt.


Then baked on 350* till it was melty, then broiled until it browned.

Then sliced it up and garnished with Green Onions & Red Pepper Flakes.

And enjoyed it with my beloved Diet Coke!
Must have soda with Pizza!


While my pizza was in the oven, I got started on dinner…Meatball Lasagna in the Crock Pot. Now, as I mentioned, I do not love lasagna, but Sky does. I planned to make this recipe over the weekend, because it is pretty high in calories. I substituted the Provolone & Ricotta Cheeses & Pasta Sauce for lower calorie options, but still, it’s lasagna and it’s high in calories.

One of the girls at work let me borrow her Sandra Lee Semi-Homemade Slow Cooker Recipes Cook Book, and I have been very pleased with the recipes so far. Usually when I try new recipes, we are less than impressed, but Sky has even liked these so far. The Tamale Pie & Mango-Chipotle Pot Roast recipes both came from this book.

Meatball Lasagna Recipe
2 #’s Frozen Fully Cooked Meatballs, Thawed
1 Large Egg
1 Container (15 oz) Ricotta Cheese (Part Skim)
1 T Dried Italian Seasoning
2 Jars (26 oz each) Pasta Sauce
1 box (9 oz) No-Boil Lasagna Sheets
1 lb thinly sliced Provolone Cheese (Reduced Fat)



- Slice Meatballs in ½, set aside
- In bowl, beat Egg w/a fork & stir in Ricotta & Seasoning, set aside
- Coat Slow Cooker with Cooking Spray
- Add ½ C Pasta Sauce to Slow Cooker
- Add a layer of Lasagna Noodles, breaking to fit
- Layer with 1/3 of the Meatballs
- Then 1/3 Ricotta Mixture
- Then 1/3 of the Provolone Cheese
- Add 1 ½ C Pasta Sauce
- Repeat Layers 2 more times
- End with Noodles & Remaining Pasta Sauce
- I saved some cheese to top with
- Cover & Cook on Low Heat for 3-4 hours



No comments:

Post a Comment