Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

My Weight Over the Years: Part 3

THE GAIN - TURBO SPEED
I started gaining weight rapidly for many reasons, but at this time I think one of the triggers was that I was graduating and felt like I had to know what I wanted to do with the rest of my life right then and there. I am very much a Type A personality with OCD tendency’s, and it terrified me that I really didn’t know what I wanted to be “when I grew up”…and I thought that the time to decide was right then! It is funny looking back, because I am still figuring out what I want to do with my life, and I am finally ok with accepting the natural process of growing up and maturing gradually. I still have freak out moments from time-to-time, but they tend to be much fewer and farther between.

Although I was gaining weight, I managed to keep it under control somewhat until after our wedding, because I had to fit into my dress.

August 2, 2006 – 150 pounds

After the wedding though, my weight gain just got out of control. We got married in Cancun, Mexico, and then had our reception a couple of weeks later at home. Just in those two weeks, I had already put on 10 pounds, and showed no signs of slowing down. I liked to not get the dress zipped for the reception.

Mid August 2006

After this, it has been much harder for me to find pictures of myself, because I have pretty much refused to be in pictures for 3 years. After the wedding I started packing on the pounds double time.


Other parts to this series:
Part 1: Growing Up
Part 2: College Years
Part 4: Depression
Part 5: The Loss
Part 6: Benefits/Rewards

2 comments:

  1. I like your series here. Staying fit in a committed relationship seems to be lots of people's problem. Not that it's yours, just made me think. The animal fitness energy just vanishes. Finding it again, from any source, can lead to good things. It first evolved from a realization that my vanity was unjustified. People I considered in my league, regardless of commitment status, actually weren't anymore. My perspective was laughable. That pissed me off enough to go biking every night. First activity in over a decade. Also came to realize like you that my unfitness and eating was depressing me. Then along came a "hey let's join this diet plan" statement from the significant other. So the momentum I had which started in anger with my poor state of fitness put me in a position to join a diet and learn how to eat healthier. Now I'm still riding that wave, pushing myself towards an acceptable fitness level. Comparing myself to others in the gym. The mirror can be blinding. But I've discovered the gym animal in me, come to enjoy those endorphins, and hope it keeps up. Being civilized is overrated sometimes. We are animals at some level, made well to burn the calories we consume. Not just consume for no reason. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree! Many people struggle with their weight once they are in a committed relationship. It's crazy, but I definitely fell victim to it!

    ReplyDelete