Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Calories

I have another P90X question for those of you that have completed or are currently following the program. Have you followed the calorie intake as the nutrition plan suggests? My top priority is to shed more fat & weight during my P90X, and I am a bit concerned with the amount of calories that it suggests. At my current weight, I am in level 2, and at my goal weight I would be a level 1. This puts me at 1,800-2,400 calories a day. My goal up to now has been 1,200...1,500 max. I know what the book says that I will need these extra calories to have the energy to complete the workouts, but I really feel like I know my body, and 2,400 calories seems pretty extreme. So here's my question...what calorie range works best for you to stay energized & still maximize weight loss while doing P90X? I am thinking more around the 1,500 - 1,800 range; maybe 2,000 max if I feel like I need it...but I welcome any advice...

P.S. I ordered the Recovery Formula today! I wasn't going to, but I read the reviews on it, and people seem to swear by it so I thought I would give it a try. I think I'm going to try to find a cheaper alternative to the protein bars though. Have you tried either product yet? Are they truly as beneficial as the website claims? What about the flavor?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kelli -
    Its so funny you asked that question - because again, I had that same question! And on that one website - that fitness coach also felt that 2400 calories was too much for a woman - so she also suggested topping out at 2000 and to concentrate more on the ratio of foods that you eat - She did 40% Protein - 30 Carbs - 30 fat... and I've been trying to track to that ratio the past few days and for me, its really hard! It shows just how much planning is required to execute that... So I guess I'm just trying to reduce refined carbs and keep my calorie count in check... I don't know if that's right... but I don't do "extreme" well - so just getting in the mindset to follow workouts is a decent enough challenge for me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the info! It will obviously be trial and error, but I'm thinking I will aim for 1,500-1,800 to start and see how that works. I don't like that it only allows for 1 serving of fruit in the first phase, so I might increase that a bit too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did the menu plan totally; only lost the 6lbs in month one, but am happy with my transformation thus far. It's really not 2400 calories (I'm in phase 2, too) if you do the math. I think they want you to think it is. You can also manipulate it a bit to slim it down some (like a serving of carbs between 100-150), etc. I wouldn't do 1500, but that's just me. I doubted the extra calories would assist my weighloss (as is my goal too), but really wanted to give it a try full on & it's working so far!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, I'm going to try the diet plan, but I am concerned. I am just going to listen to my body and if I don't need all of the food I'm not going to eat it, but if I do, I will. We'll see how it works!

    ReplyDelete