Search This Blog

Monday, June 14, 2010

Float Trip & Camping Weekend

Oh what a weekend that we had! It was fun and definitely quite the interesting experience...

So we have a great river only about 15 minutes away; but the group we went with planned this float trip on a different river. We were originally told it was an hour away. When we showed up to meet everybody to caravan there, we were told that it is more like an hour and a half. 3 hours later, we arrived at our "camp site" a.k.a. a field with no running water or electricity or fire-pits.

Now don't get me wrong...I enjoy camping (ish)...but I'm just not much of a 'roughing it' kind of girl; especially for longer than one night...so 2 nights was a bit excessive. Skyler and I were actually the only two from the entire group of 9 that stayed until Sunday morning! One of the couples left as soon as we got off of the river Saturday night. Then one of the girl's peaced out at about 11:00 after she tried to sleep in her hot, muggy tent with a sunburn. At 3:00am one of the other couples and the other 2 girls packed up and headed home because they weren't sleeping anyway. It was so stinkin hot at humid and we all felt completely filthy that we were pretty much over it by that point. Sky and I stuck it out until 6:00am Sunday just because we didn't want to risk driving home on windy roads that we were unfamiliar with in the middle of the night. But as soon as the sun came out we hit the road!

The canoe trip was pretty fun and relaxing. The river was super muddy though because of the rain earlier in the week so my new swimsuit (that was half white) is now brown. We laughed a lot though and only tipped once. We had a 3 canoe pile-up because we floated the entire trip all connected. It worked great until we all panicked when we were headed for a stump in the water. Some of us decided to let go and some decided to hang on, so the indecisiveness caused a wreck! It was pretty funny...but I am still finding new bruises all down the right side of my body where I was smashed between two canoes.

I actually didn't eat or drink bad this weekend at all. The only downfall was that I ate late both nights. I was very good about watching my portions though, and really wasn't that hungry (I took my diet pill both days). I drank a few beers Friday night, but didn't drink at all on Saturday. Did I mention that the bus that was supposed to come get us and take us to the river didn't happen so we had to drive there? Yeah...so I was the DD and didn't drink that day because I wasn't really in the mood to anyways. My worst eating was actually yesterday, and that was just because we were exhausted and ate out when we got home. But all-in-all, it was a successful weekend in diet land considering the circumstances!

I feel like I've spent this whole post bitching about the negatives of the weekend. We seriously did have a blast...and these stories are just funny more than anything. We will definitely be planning next years trip much differently though. It will be nearby at a real camp site with water and we will stay for one night. After the float trip we will be coming home to the air conditioning and a shower! We had a great time with some great friends and made some memories that I'm sure we will be talking about for years!

No comments:

Post a Comment